To understand the world of ships you first need to get acquainted with a some of the big and popular names that you will come across frequently. So let’s not waste any more time and let’s jump right into knowing them….
Say hello to :
- Length overall (LOA): is the length of the ship taken over all extremities.
- After perpendicular (AP): is a perpendicular drawn at the point where the aft side of the rudder post meets the summer load waterline. Where no rudder post is fitted it is taken as the center line of the rudder stock.
- Forward perpendicular (FP) : is a perpendicular drawn at the point where the fore side of the stem meets the summer load line.
- Length between perpendiculars (LBP): is the length between the aft and forward perpendiculars measured along the summer load line.
- Midship is a point midway between the after and forward perpendiculars.